Updated August 31, 2019
If you are from the ‘Evergreen’ Generation (get terms like ‘senior’ and ‘older adult’ away from me, please), then chances are you have dreamed about doing some travel when you left that job of yours. It’s like the number one thing on the list of stuff to do when we retire according to many sources. I agree! Traveling is a huge part of the life that Philip and I lead.
If you are serious about traveling, yet hesitant because you are now on a fixed income, give some serious thought to becoming a travel blogger. It is big business!
In this review of The Business of Travel Blogging, I am going to give you an in-depth insight into this course which I have purchased myself.
What is The Business of Travel Blogging Course
This is a course created by Matt Kepnes, known as ‘Nomadic Matt’, who has achieved great success in the travel blogging industry.
The Business of Travel Blogging is one of 4 courses that his company, Superstar Blogging, offers.
This online course has 10 units (modules) and is structured for you to complete at your own pace, taking as much time as you need. It is a step by step platform designed to take you from being a complete beginner in this business to a successful travel blogger making an income from anywhere in the world (that has an internet connection).
Who Is It For
This is really important, folks.
The course is chiefly aimed at those with little or no experience, however, it is for people who are truly committed to creating a successful travel blog that makes money. If you do have some experience, you would also benefit from the strategies used, interviews and marketing tips to take your business to the next level.
This course is not for people who simply want to update family and friends on their travels or think it would be fun to keep a record of their experiences for themselves.
This is a serious business that you can do online to create income for yourself.
As I see it, this is perfect for us Evergreeners who want or need to make money online and are dedicated to learning this business and taking the time to develop it. Every business takes an investment in time, money, energy and patience to grow and become profitable, and the world of travel blogging is no different.
This is not a get-rich-quick, outrageous claim scam.
Let’s take a closer look at this Travel Blog course.
Brief Details and Price
Name: The Business of Travel Blogging
Owner: Matt Kepnes
- 10 Unit (Modular) Course
- Personalized Feedback
- Downloadable Cheat Sheets
- Monthly Q & A Webinars
- Expert Interviews
- Exclusive and Private Facebook Group
- Special Discounts
- Lifetime Updates
- Opportunity Board – here you will find job offers, contests and collaboration projects
Price: $249.00 one payment OR 3 payments of $99.00 payable monthly over the first 3 months of membership
Bonus: Unlimited tech support
30-day money-back guarantee
Overall Rating (out of 10): 9.4
Review of The Business of Travel Blogging Course
Matt Kepnes (Nomadic Matt), is I guess what you would call a ‘guru’ on the subject of travel blogging. He started out back in 2008 as a budget traveler with no experience, no résumé, and no audience of readers. He had no idea how to turn his love for travel into something more.
In the ten years since then, he has created, developed and refined a business that has grown into a high six-figure website that reaches over a million people a month. He is a New York Times best-selling author and blogger and his writing has been featured in National Geographic, The Huffington Post, CNN, the BBC, and the Washington Post.
This course, The Business of Travel Blogging, is essentially a toolkit that will give you all the training, tips and resources necessary to create a successful online travel blog that earns you money so that you can travel and live a lifestyle that you may only have dreamed about.
Let’s get straight to the syllabus:
Week 1: Setting up and Getting Started
- Create the perfect blog name – you need something original, catchy and short
- Sign up for a domain name and hosting (tech support provided by Chris Richardson, who you can reach by email)
- Install and configuring WordPress (writing platform used by around 25% of the world’s websites)
- Set up your email account
- An overview of WordPress
- Picking and installing a theme on your website (think of it as your ‘storefront’ design)
- Using WordPress to add content (content is the posts or articles you write)
- Installing the best WordPress plugins (plugins are add-ons to WordPress that enhance functionality and allow you to do things such as making your posts easier to share on social media, help you to add images, or to check your spelling and grammar)
- Setting up Google Analytics and Search Console (with these tools you will learn about who visits your website and spot errors you may not even know to exist so you can correct them)
- Learn the basics of editing code (basic computer language) – actually much easier than you might think
- How to make your website SEO friendly – so that search engines Google, Bing, and Yahoo can find it (SEO = Search Engine Optimization)
- Read and study expert interviews – get more tips and advice from successful bloggers
Week 2: Building a Brand
- How to look at the big picture – how to brainstorm, strategize and highlight your skills to steer your blog in the right direction
- How to create your ‘brand’ which is your unique identity- learn how to stand out from the crowd and get noticed.
- How to find your ‘niche’ – that is, essentially, the target audience you are trying to reach
- What makes a beautiful website – A tutorial will show you examples of attractive and ugly sites as examples
- How to design your website – then you will be shown how to do it the right way and design it to appeal to your audience
- Time management – how to develop the right habits to maximize your time and improve efficiency
Week 3: Writing Content
- The basics of writing content that is engaging to readers – how to write for your audience, not yourself
- How to write content that is original
- Learn how to write content that goes ‘viral’ (spreads like wildfire by being shared by lots of people on the internet)
- Learn how to edit your blogs
- Grammar – the do’s and don’ts
- Resources for your writing such as websites and books to help you hone your skills
Week 4: Mastering Social Media
- Succeeding in social media – how to get your website and content read above the others
- How to succeed on Instagram – helpful strategies and tips to help you build your brand
- Pitching guest blogs – here you will learn how to sell yourself as a guest blogger on larger websites that have an established audience. You will be given example introduction emails.
- Getting media attention – you will learn the right way to connect with journalists and how to introduce yourself with example emails so that you can get quoted in media outlets
Week 5: Networking Like a Champ
- Networking with other bloggers – this will teach you how to network with others, gain traffic (readers) to your website and just let people know that you exist
Week 6: SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Introduction to SEO – This lesson will go over what the search engines such as Google use to rank the posts that you write. This is incredibly important to bloggers
- How to get links to rank high – a ‘link’ enables your readers to jump to another location (think Star Trek and the transporter room – getting beamed to the planet surface) because the search engines look for these links when they rank your website
Week 7: Newsletters
- An introduction to newsletters – in this lesson you will learn the importance of engaging your audience with email newsletters to create a constant stream of income
- How to set up newsletters – you will be taught step by step how to set up your newsletters and how to use a dedicated service platform to deliver them.
- What to include and how to sell – structuring the content of your newsletters and how to promote and sell products in them so your readers engage with what you write and become buyers
Week 8: Affiliate Marketing
- This lesson will talk about how to make money with your blog, because that is what we need to do, right? You will learn about general themes and strategies for monetizing your website.
- Affiliate marketing – here you will learn how to sell other merchants products on your website for which you will receive a commission
- A note on disclosing sponsored content and affiliates – when you become an affiliate and sell things on your website for which you receive a commission, this must be disclosed to your readers according to FTC regulations
Week 9: Creating and Selling Your Own (Digital) Products
- How to brainstorm, create and build your own digital products that your readers (audience) want and how to sell them. You will also learn how to set up payment providers for them.
- Marketing your products – just because you create it doesn’t mean your audience will buy it, so in this lesson, you will learn the do’s and don’ts of proper product marketing so you can sell like hell!
Week 10: Partnering with Brands, PR Firms and Tourism Boards
- Tours, consulting and other things – you will learn other methods of monetizing your website, leveraging your own skills and how to grow your income through other channels such as travel planning, consulting and offering tours
- Working with PR and brands – you will learn how to work with PR agencies and travel companies to create long-term relationships, partnerships and additional income while still keeping your own readers happy
- How to work with tourism boards – Here you are taught how to best approach tourism boards, how to create successful campaigns and leave them wanting more from you while still maintaining integrity and authenticity with your readership
How the Course Works
Once you purchase the course, you click on the title or image and it comes up. There, you will be taken to the content. Each week, a new module (or unit) will appear which includes all the relevant lessons and homework assignments.
You will be able to access all the units for life once they are opened but you cannot skip ahead to the next lesson. The course and homework are structured in such a way that you complete one unit before going on to the next as there is such a vast amount of material to get through.
You will be able to access the interviews with the many experts in the course and you will find them in the ‘Welcome Introduction’ of each module. Also listed here are the homework and feedback assignments.
The community blog and webinars are accessed in the top navigation bar.
In the welcome email you receive when you join, you will have access to the exclusive Facebook group that will provide you with more support and interaction.
If you have any questions about the course or need direction, you have Matt’s email address so that you can communicate directly with him. Should you need technical assistance, you have the option to email the technical expert, Chris Richardson. There is also a Community Manager who has a dedicated email that you can contact for any general questions.
Pros and Cons
- Tons of detailed, step-by-step training and information
- Personal assistance from the owner and tech support
- Exclusive Facebook group
- Lifetime access
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- You are your own boss
- Requires a great deal of hard work
- Will take time to develop – not a get-rich-quick scheme
- Competitive market
My Conclusion About The Business of Travel Blogging Course
As you can see, this course has a vast amount of information! There is no doubt that it requires hard work and discipline as well as dedication to complete.
But hey, you worked for years for someone else, maybe even doing a job that you didn’t particularly enjoy that much.
Or perhaps, like us, you had a brick and mortar business that was successful (or not) but now, after all this time, you just don’t have the energy that you used to have (I can tell you that we sure don’t) and you want to travel but you need to make money.
Maybe you want to stay engaged, working and busy because that’s how we roll in our generation, and you want to be your own boss in a way that gives you the kind of freedom you have never had before.
Whatever your motivation may be, I highly recommend The Business of Travel Blogging Course by Matt Kepnes. Not only for the quality of the information but because of the expertise, transparency, and authenticity of the author.
There is no doubt that this is a competitive market. Many people are traveling and writing blogs. There is free information on travel blogging on the internet. Much of it, however, is out of date or just gives you some basic tips and advice.
To give yourself the best chance of achieving success, you need a course that will give you specific, task-based, detailed training and up-to-date, cutting-edge information ( the course is updated twice a year), to help you create a unique persona (or brand) that sets you apart from all the others.
I believe this course ticks all the boxes.
Travel blogging can be a business where you feel a bit isolated at times, so having lifetime access to the Facebook group and the owner gives you that ongoing, community support and personal connection that is missing so much in this 21st century online world. This is a great feature of this program in my opinion.
If you are ready to become a serious travel blogger, CLICK HERE to get to The Business of Travel Blogging.
Helpful Note: You may really want to do this to create income for yourself but you may be worried that your typing ability is non-existent or that you are too slow. Fear not, potential travel blogger extraordinaire because we have found the best course out there for brushing up and fine-tuning your keyboard skills or even getting you started with no experience. You can read about this little gem of a program HERE.
I hope that my review has given you an insight into the exciting business of travel blogging and also what it takes to get there. I would love to know if you are thinking of doing this yourself and where you plan to travel. Who knows, we could meet up someday?
If you have any questions or comments about this course I would love to answer them in the Comments section below.
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page” St. Augustine of Hippo
The greatest years of your life are still ahead!