Updated September 1, 2019
House sitting is becoming more popular than ever, thanks to the internet. People can find jobs all over the world and, in exchange for looking after people’s homes and pets, immerse themselves in new cultures and experiences. What a great way to live!
We have done this and I can tell you that it is fun, but not always lucrative. Most international house and pet sitting jobs don’t pay you anything because you are staying in the home for free. It is an exchange. So, I have an idea for you on how to make money while house sitting. Start a travel blog!
Could there be a more perfect fit?
Not only is a travel blog a great idea for a nomadic lifestyle, but it is also ideal for those of us in the ‘cool’ generation who may be close to retirement or already there but still need or want to combine traveling with making an online income.
What Happens on a Housesit?
That is one of those open-ended questions with an expansive answer because this type of work has huge variables.
First, though, let us define what housesitting is. At its core, it simply means that a property owner who leaves there home for any length of time entrusts the care of that home to one or more people, in exchange for pre-arranged and agreed upon specific duties related to the care of that property.
This can include a myriad of responsibilities such as:
- Pet care – this is by far the number one reason people want a housesitter.
- Lawn/garden care
- Pool maintenance
- Mail collection
- Cleaning of the property and grounds
- Security – a home is safer when someone is living in it
While not an exhaustive list, those are some of the most common duties of a house/pet sitter. It is up to you to negotiate exactly what is needed for you to do and to come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.
If you would like to know more, I have written a more detailed article on this subject called House Sitting in Retirement – An Exciting Opportunity.
The point is, after you have fed and walked the dog or played with the cat and tidied up the garden, you will still have downtime on your hands that you could put to great use by working on your own online business.
How can I find housesitting jobs?
There are many housesitting agencies and we have researched a few. In fact, we are members of two of them.
HouseCarers.com – this is an international company and is, in fact, the first one of its type. Ian White started this excellent online house sitting agency in 2000. You can read Philip’s in-depth review of it here.
We also chose a house sitting agency that covers one country only. We are particularly interested in Mexico as our next destination so we joined Housesitmexico. The owner, Alex Gordon, has created a very user-friendly, active and fun platform and we are keeping our fingers crossed for an assignment.
What is Travel Blogging?
Travel blogging is not like having a Facebook page where you share photos and chat with family and friends. It is a legitimate career that can earn you a good income if you are prepared to put in the time and effort to learn how to set it up and develop it properly.
The travel blogger writes in-depth blogs or articles about the place they are currently visiting (or housesitting) to attract people to their website. This is done, typically by writing things that are relevant to your reader.
People want to read about unique local architecture, fun and exciting activities or where the interesting restaurants and open-air markets are. They are perhaps interested in the cheapest flights to a destination or they want information on a range of hotels in an area. Consider what you yourself would like to know if you were thinking of visiting a particular place.
These are just some of the things a travel blogger writes about.
To create an interesting and engaging travel blog, you must first decide who is your target “audience”. Will you be writing for the budget-minded traveler? Are you writing for the Baby Boomer population? Do you want to appeal to people interested in luxury travel?
You also have to consider, “How can I make money from writing my travel blog?”
There are several ways such as:
- Doing freelance writing work. You could use your website as a kind of “resume” and let potential clients see your work and possibly hire you.
- Sell your photos. Everyone who has a website needs good photographs and you could display the ones you take on your exotic travels and sell them.
- Affiliate Marketing. This is a great way to generate income. For example, you could sell items such as travel wear and related accessories, or cameras (like the one you use to take pictures for your travel blog) and earn a commission from the merchant for doing so. Amazon is a good example of this.
- Hook up with travel agencies and booking websites, promote them, and earn a commission.
There are many possibilities in this exciting career, but the key is knowing how to do it properly without wasting time and energy. This will only lead to frustration because you could spend months trying to find out how to do travel blogging and get nowhere.
It is a competitive and specialized business now because more and more people are discovering that traveling the world and making a living out of writing about it is an incredible way to live your life!
How can I learn about Travel Blogging?
Unless you are an experienced online entrepreneur or have a background in the travel industry, I strongly recommend you look into specialized training for travel blogging.
In my opinion, it is better to invest in an authentic, reliable source and this is what Philip and I did, to learn more about this business. After much research, we discovered a great course written by someone who has been around for a long time and has become enormously successful as a travel blogger.
A Harmonious Blend?
I have to say that being a housesitter and a travel blogger is a match made in heaven! Remember, too, you don’t have to travel internationally to be a successful blogger. You can housesit in your own country and travel around and write about wherever you are.
We live in a mobile society now and it looks like this trend will continue to grow in the foreseeable future. People are interested in experiencing new locations near and far. As a travel blogger, you can help them get to those locations, find a place to stay and fill their days with fun activities or just hang out in the local beauty spots.
Best of all, you will be staying free in someone’s home, hanging out with people’s pets, learning about your surrounding area, having fun, helping others, and generating income from your own website!
- Stay free wherever you go on your house/pet sitting assignment
- Immerse yourself in a new culture or a different aspect of your own culture in a new location.
- Add icing to the cake by having your own online business that generates an income for you.
- Housesitting can sometimes be a little lonely, as you travel around (not so much if you are a couple though).
- You will always need to be sure you have a good internet connection if you want to be a blogger. An extremely remote housesit location may present a challenge.
- Becoming a successful travel blogger does not happen overnight. You will need to learn how to do it properly and build authority and trust. This will be an investment in time for you.
- Financial investment in yourself may be required to obtain the specific training needed for the best chance of success in this field.
Thank you for taking the time to read my article.
If you are already a housesitter and looking for a way to create some online income for yourself, I hope this has been useful to you. Do you have any interesting experiences you could share? Our readers would love to read about them in the comments area below.
We have found that the best way for us to generate an income as we travel the world was by joining an amazing platform that has taught us how to become online entrepreneurs. If you are curious about what it is, you can read Philip’s review of Wealthy Affiliate.
There is a Chinese proverb I like:
“Don’t listen to what they say…Go see”!
My bags are packed. I hope to see you there!
The greatest years of your life are still ahead!